The Parish Council is a body of Practicing Orthodox Christians in good sacramental
standing with the Church. They are elected by members of the parish for the
purpose of working together with the priest in fulfilling the goals and needs
of the church. This local governing body also reflects the fundamental structure
of the Orthodox Church. That is, we, as clergy and laity together, are the "People
of God" seeking to the best of our human capabilities to fulfill the mission
entrusted to us by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
The Saint Barbara Ladies Philoptochos Society has been nationally recognized
for their dedicated work and philanthropic activities. The Philoptochos promotes
the charitable, benevolent and philanthropic purposes of Saint Barbara through
instructional programming, lectures, seminars and other education resources.
This group voluntarily aids the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the
sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped,
the victims of disasters and offers assistance to anyone who may need the help
of the Church through special funds or solicitations. There is a Philoptochos
Society Chapter in every Greek Orthodox Church in America.
GOLDEN YEARS CLUB
This group led by Lou and Marie Basel, is open to all members over 50. The members
numbering over 130 strong, meet once a month on Tuesdays for fellowship and
a luncheon. Excursions are also scheduled throughout the year that encourage
fellowship, social interaction and educational experience.
This group of elected trustees oversees the development of the endowment fund,
which was established November 11, 1957. The purpose for the formation of this
fund is to raise and receive funds and contributions from a variety of sources
and invest these funds so that only the earned income is allowcated for supporting
the religious, educational and general objectives of the community.
The American Hellenic Education Progressive Association is part of a national
organization originally formed to assist the Greek immigrants in becoming an
assimilated group in America. Their primary effort was geared to furthering
the education of its youth. Our Chapter #98 has the distinction of fostering
two Supreme Presidents, brothers Constantine P. Verinis and George J. Margoles.
The AHEPA has always been a viable part of our community spawning many of its
leaders. For many years, the AHEPA had the only Scholarship Program, giving
four $500 scholarships annually. The annual Egg Hunt, started in 1949, has been
an AHEPA tradition. Our Chapter has been a major contributor to the Church Building
Fund. Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of every month except in the